It’s On Us – Campus Sexual Assault Prevention Campaign:
- On Friday, President Obama launched the It’s On Us Campaign, a campaign aimed at including the public in preventing on-campus sexual assaults. It calls on bystanders to speak up if it appears that someone is the victim of a sexual assault or to step in if it appears that someone is unable to consent to sexual activity. It calls on everyone to take responsibility in creating an atmosphere in which sexual assault will not be tolerated. This campaign is in addition to the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault, initiated by President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in January to work with universities to combat sexual assaults on campuses. In 2011, The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights provided guidance to colleges and universities to illustrate the responsibilities of these institutions to promote educational environments for students that are free from sexual harassment and sexual assault in accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
- It’s On Us includes PSA videos featuring celebrities such as Jon Hamm, Kerry Washington, and Kevin Love. The NCAA, Big Ten, and Pac-12 have all joined in the movement pledging to spread awareness. The Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women will award $6 million to 18 colleges to develop programs designed to prevent campus sexual assaults and to provide services for victims.
HeForShe and Gender Equality:
- World leaders are gathering at the United Nations (UN) this week for the UN General Assembly meeting and one of the topics on the agenda is: gender equality. A movement started by UN Women, HeForShe, is calling on men to become more involved in gender equality around the world with the hope of eradicating inequality by 2030.
- The UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, said, “We need to say to men and boys: Do not raise your hands in violence – raise your voices to stop it – and to support human rights for all.” Emma Watson, UN Women Global Goodwill Ambassador and star of the movie series Harry Potter, is involved in this campaign.
- One highlight of HeForShe is a real-time interactive map with a geo locator recording men’s involvement in the movement throughout the world.